5 Best family tents for nearly any weather in 2022
When you’re camping, it’s almost impossible to predict the weather changes, especially if you are actively changing locations. That is why it’s always good to get yourself ready even for the most unpredictable situations, like bad weather, extreme cold, or unexpected downpour.
Getting a high-quality, durable, and roomy tent that has enough space for every member is one of the first things to consider while planning your camping journey. With the proper features it provides, this object can become the perfect shelter for nearly any traveler, regardless of the climate you’ve faced.
In this article, we’ll review the top 5 best options that can perfectly fit a family on vacation and make your stay comfortable anytime and anywhere. And, to help you make the right choice easier and quicker, we’ll also cover the basic characteristics that any good family tent should feature, no matter what the weather outdoors!
The best family tents trending today
First of all, let’s analyze the most popular options available on the market and what makes them so popular today.
#1 All-Season Tent with Stove Jack "UP-2"
Accommodation characteristics: 1-5 persons
That is one of the best models for those looking for a durable and spacious family option with many doors that is surely worth its money. Popular in the US and Canada, this model will be a good fit for a stress-free accommodation of any group, no matter where you travel. It provides enough space for large groups of people, its smart design decreases condensation and retains the interior heat. Exactly what everyone needs for a comfortable stay!
Let’s now look closer at its basic specifics:
- Umbrella type 4-season design, with a 6’25 foot ceiling
- Up to FIVE sleeping bags on the floor – the finest option for traveling by car
- Removable mosquito nets and zippered floor prevent insects and snakes from getting in and protect your feet from the danger
- Five-layer windows and a folding wing door
- Fire and water-resistant outer layer fits the most unpredictable outdoor climate
Doesn’t sound bad as a new home for your upcoming trip, does it?
#2 Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow Tent
Accommodation characteristics: 1-5 persons
An extremely large four-season camping station that can be used by a large group of people. According to the information provided by a manufacturer, it can place up to 8 sleeping bags without any hustle, which makes it a really nice fit for any occasion: sunny days or bad, stormy winds with rains. It will also be a good choice for tall people, as it has a 6’6” foot ceiling!
As for the specific things that make it stand out, it includes:
- Plenty of storage space with perfectly designed organizer pockets
- Durable and breathable fabrics that are easy to maintain in any weather condition
- Waterproof materials and a waterproof floor that will make you feel at home
- Is likely to hold up for at least a few years
#3 Coleman Sundome Camping Tent
Accommodation characteristics: 1-3 persons
A great option for a family of three, that provides enough space for a comfortable stay and great leisure. This model is really easy to set with the specific dome design, so it can become your best shelter during camping and hiking. This model is offered in 3 colors: navy blue, pale green, and spruce green – camping can be aesthetic too!
What is more, your floor will never be wet after heavy rain: welded corners and covered seams keep water out so travelers and gear stay dry no matter what. So, your feet will always stay dry, regardless of the bad weather!
Some other things to know about it:
- Spacious interior, with enough room to move
- Large windows that enhance the ventilation process
- Specific WeatherTec System to keep the water out
- Fits for a one-person setup
- Durable mesh pockets that allow storing small essentials within easy reach
- E-port for easy access to electrical power
#4 Wenzel Klondike Water Resistant Tent
Accommodation characteristics: 1-6 persons
For those looking for a 3-season shelter during vacations, this product can be the best match. Available in 3 colors: green, gray, and blue, that’s one of the most typical models ordered for vacations with children: it’s easy to set up and clean, and can be a good choice for picnics, hiking, or camping during warmer seasons. Additionally, it’s extremely lightweight compared to most other options, so definitely worth checking out!
Specific characteristics of this traveling shelter include:
- Shock corded fiberglass roof frame, steel uprights, and corner elbows ensure the effortless setup in just 20 minutes
- Space-saving, convertible screen room with a "T" style door and inside flap zippered windows
- Weather armor polyester fabric protects you from head to foot
- A convenient carry bag for easy storage and transportation
- Has a bathtub-shaped floor to protect from moisture
#5 Ayamaya Pop Up Tent
Accommodation characteristics: 1-6 persons
A decent choice for any traveler who’s looking for the best sheltering tool for any season. This one can ideally work for the people that want to get their tent set in just a few minutes: simply open the bag and let go – the next step will be putting your stuff into it! That easy and enjoyable process will surely make your children amazed with the trip and set the right tone for your journey.
Some great qualities of this product include:
- PU3000 fabric and heat-sealed seams to protect your foot from freezing and getting wet
- Spacious storage pockets and lantern hook help to keep your items neat and organized
- Windows and doors with double panels allow easy side to be completely open and rolled up with the specific straps
- Provides lots of space for a queen size air mattress inside, with room left for the other stuff like bags and equipment
- Designed with a double layer connected by hooks, which can effectively prevent condensation
How to choose the right family tent for any season
Now that we know what the top-notch camping shelters should feature today, you'll be probably puzzled about how to make the right choice. For sure, you don’t want to overpay for product marketing or the useless features you won’t require at all: for example, some travelers don’t want to buy a floor in a set or get the models with the so-called vestibules included.
Whatever product you’ll end up buying in the end, it will be really nice to ensure you’ve selected the right option that ideally meets your needs and family expectations. So, what matters when choosing a camping shelter?
The first thing you’ll want to consider before getting the right camping shelter is the size and capacity. For solo campers, getting a large family option doesn’t make sense: it’s a waste of money, effort, and the space in your bag. Here are some other things that will help you find the ideal size of the tent:
- How many people will be living in it? Are they large?
- Are they claustrophobic? Do they toss and turn at night?
- Do they plan to bring a child or canine?
The next factor that can’t be overlooked is the target season when you’ll go camping. For the summer family trips, it’s more than enough to get one of the 3-season tents: they’re lightweight, easy to set, and can be a good option for sunny days in spring, summer, and fall.
If you’re getting ready for the bad weather days, or planning to live in a region with an uncertain climate, it’s recommended to get the 3+ or even 4-season types. Their dome is seriously designed to protect you from winds and snow, a durable floor coverage enables comfortable walking with your foot bare, regardless of how bad the weather is outdoors.
Other great features
Most of the other characteristics depend on the location, weather specifics, and personal expectations concerning your shelter during the trip: for instance, how many doors you need. Overall, it covers a lot of different features offered by a manufacturer, such as:
- Floor Length – this is critical for tall people (over 6 feet), as it defines the actual space for comfortable staying and sleeping, without their foot hanging out
- Doors – considering the number of doors will help you get a better understand of which model you’ll need, as well as avoid climbing to the exit door over each other for midnight bathroom breaks.
- Pole Structure – this characteristic will help to find the freestanding option that can be set in a while, with minimal effort required.
- Rainfly – whatever location you’re staying in, it’s always good to know that you’re prepared for any weather, even the worst one. Luckily, most models offer the rainfly in a set, or else you can buy the roof-only or full-coverage rain fly separately.
- Material – nothing says better about durability than material quality. You’ll want to get a water-resistant, breathable, and easy-to-clean solution for your family trips.
- Ventilation – is exceptionally important for family trips, when you’re all planning to settle under a single accommodation place.
- Interior: Loops, Pockets, and More – Storing the necessary stuff that should be always at hand (pills, notebook, power bank, etc) can be really challenging! So, the ability to hang or store it indoors can really save the day!
Get the right option to shelter your closest
Choosing the best tent is not just limited to the accommodation capacities. Once you’ve discovered the top-rated camping stations that can fit even bad weather and season, it’s probably time to ensure the other part of your family – pets – won’t be located in bad conditions and can easily accommodate being inside too!
It might take some time to help your canine train to properly behave indoors but keeping your pets in safety is definitely worth the effort.
🏕 How to select the best camping tent for any weather?
- To choose the best option, make sure to consider its sleeping capacity and seasonality. If you’re looking for a durable option, check its material, floor-length and height, rainfly availability, and other critical factors.
📦 Which type of camping tent fits bad weather?
- For harsh atmospheric conditions, it’s recommended to choose the options placed under the 3+ or 4-season category: they’re more stable and resistant to unexpected situations outdoors.
💡 What should a harsh weather camping tent include for 1-month family trips?
- For long vacations, it’s better to choose the items made of durable material and with multiple doors, good ventilation, easy maintenance, and great interior design solutions included to set up a comfortable stay for each of the members.